Day 2 - Melvich to Bonar Bridge (via Thurso for Rachel and Sheila!)

Distance: 70 miles (Dad), 37.7 miles (Rachel)
Elevation: 3478ft (Dad)
Average speed: 11.7mph
https://www.strava.com/activities/2431266312

Disclaimer - this is Dad's Strava record for the day, for reasons that will become obvious...
Ride report: 

Well, that didn't go to plan!

Today started out well - the sun had come out and the views were spectacular. Couldn't be more different from yesterday. We celebrated by getting the team colours out on show, nice not to be wrapped up in waterproofs!

The cycling team in team kit

Full team selfie!

We left Melvich at around 8.30, and started the day with a climb uphill. After a couple of off-and-ons for cattle grids, we had a nice downhill section before once again turning uphill. This is where it all went a little wrong...

The first time my chain fell off, I thought it was annoying. The second time, I was a bit concerned. After it came off for the third time, I was about ready to pitch the stupid bike off a cliff, particularly as it had well and truly jammed, rendering the whole thing unrideable. After a closer look, Dad realised the inner chain ring looked somewhat wonky - this was obviously not something we could fix on the road, so after once again being prevented from looking for a bush to throw the bike in, I called the Thurso bike shop which had recently done some work on the bike for me, and with the bike loaded on the car, Mum and I set off to retrace our steps.

Dad carried on, flying the colours for the team. I'll hand over to him now for the next part of the ride log:

Onward and upward - mostly upward!! more cattle grids and some very slow sections meant I was in need of a coffee. Bettyhill hotel did starbucks and a great view.


View from Bettyhill - even this far up you can hear the waves
Off the A road onto a recently resurfaced track meant for smooth rolling but still a lot of up...

Looking across the river through the trees I thought this made the perfect site for a log cabin - deer in the woods, fish in the river ( and lambs everywhere ) all you need for the quiet life but not a vegetarian diet. Shortly back to reality with two motor homes and a log lorry negotiating the passing place. Time to move on.. Up!


Rachel again: Meanwhile, Mum and I headed back to Thurso. Taking the bike into "The Bike Shop", it was quickly on the bike stand, and once the crankset was removed, the issue was diagnosed fast as two missing bolts. I still don't know how that happened, and the chaps in the bike shop had never seen it either! With two replacement bolts, and all four treated with loctite, they straightened out the chain and dispatched me back on the road. If you're ever in Thurso and in need of a bike shop, I can't recommend them highly enough - very careful, precise and incredibly helpful.

Trying to track Dad was tricky, as he'd gone into a dead-signal spot. We drove on, and finally caught him at the end of Loch Naver. Just in time to start the big climb of the day, but I was back on, and off we went.

We seemed to be on a cycle superhighway, as we saw far more bikes than cars! It was about an hour of riding before we caught up with Mum, admiring the view from the Crask Inn.

Lunch at the Crask Inn
Having ridden the last 10 miles without being able to clip into my bike, I realised I was missing a bolt from my shoe! I need to check the bike and all my kit tonight in case any other bits have fallen off... Cleat replacement is something I can do, however,  so I fixed that up while we had sandwiches and coffee.

Supposedly, it was mostly downhill for the rest of the day, however a nasty little headwind definitely held us up as we headed to Lairg. Once there though, we had a Haribo break on a bench at the visitors centre, before heading off on our final leg of the day.

Lairg, from Spar car park (by Mum)
I was quite pleased with my route planning at this point, as we diverted off the main A road from Lairg and picked up a quiet B road running down by the river, through lots of trees (and buzzing things!). This really did give us some downhill, though the road surface was creating some vibration through the hands.

The final part of the ride was a nasty uphill section, though we'd been pre-warned by Mum, who came down to meet us. I stubbornly cycled as much of it as possible, even though Mum had kindly brought my trainers to save my new cleats!

The view from this place was well worth the hill though. We've had a nice evening with home-made shortbread and farm-grown strawberries waiting for us, and jacket spuds and tuna for dinner.

The view from the cottage!

Not quite the day we'd planned, but we're still rolling, and the JOGLE continues!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1 - Duncansby Head to Melvich (via John O'Groats and Dunnet Head)

Day 15 - Truro to Land's End via Lizard Point

Day 14 - Okehampton to Truro